Eligible full-time university, TAFE and post-secondary students can apply for a 50% concession fare on TransLink public transport services (excluding Airtrain), regional qconnect bus services and approved regional ferry services.
Am I eligible?
You can apply for concession fares if you meet all of the following criteria:
- live in Queensland
- enrolled in and attending a course:
- at a university, higher education provider, TAFE or other registered training organisation in Queensland (unless otherwise approved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads) that is registered with the department; and
- that has been developed or accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF); or
- that is a Course in Core Skills supported by the Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiative.
- a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis:
- as deemed by their university; or
- at an institution other than a university in a course of study requiring attendance at classes (or unpaid practical requirements) for at least 12 hours per week for a minimum course duration of 12 weeks.
You must carry a current approved photo ID at all times when travelling on concession fares.
- a student ID issued by a Queensland institution registered with the Department of Transport and Main Roads
- an adult proof of age card (for example, 18+ card)
- a recognised proof of age card (for example, Australia Post Keypass identity card
- an Australian driver licence or learner permit
- a foreign driver licence (from any country) that includes a photo of the licence holder and translation if the licence is in another language
- a passport (from any country) that includes a photo of the passport holder and translation if the passport if in another language
- a local, state and federal government photographic employee identification pass.
How to apply
If you have a valid adult go card you can apply online for concession fares by:
- Logging into your go card account.
- Selecting the ‘My Details’ tab to submit your application.
Once you have applied:
- We will let you know by SMS or email if you are eligible within 14 days.
- If you are eligible, concession fares will be activated on your go card when you next touch on.
- If you are not eligible, you will need to travel on adult fares.
If you live in regional Queensland and want to travel on concession fares in SEQ, simply buy an adult go card online and call us on 13 12 30 to apply for concession fares once you receive your card.
Once you have a current student ID issued by a Queensland institution, simply:
- Download and complete a concession sticker application form and present it to your institution.
If you are eligible, your institution will apply a regional concession sticker to your ID.
If you are not eligible, you will need to travel on adult fares.
If you live in SEQ and want to travel on concession fares in regional Queensland, simply call us on 13 12 30 to apply for a tertiary concession sticker to be posted to you.
To allow us to check your eligibility, you must have previously applied for and be currently eligible for concession fares on your go card.
Information for educational institutions
To offer eligible tertiary students access to concession fares, educational institutions must be registered with the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
To register, simply complete the educational institution registration form and return it to the address on the form.
If your institution’s registration is successful, a departmental representative will be in contact to discuss how this process applies to your institution, and the department’s standard terms governing this process.
The Queensland Government reserves the right to withdraw an institution's registration if it is found that the institution is not complying with the department's policy, including eligibility requirements as stated on the application form.