Where to buy
- go card online
- any 7-Eleven store and selected retailers
- many G:link and busway stations
- Queensland Rail stations during ticket office opening hours
- onboard CityCat ferries.
Paper tickets can be bought:
- onboard a bus (except pre-paid buses) or ferry
- from a ticket office at train stations during opening hours
- from a fare machine at a busway, train or tram station
- at major interchanges.
Even if you are an infrequent public transport user, go card is a cheaper, easier and more convenient travel option.
Some bus services are pre-paid during peak times. You will need to buy a paper ticket from a fare machine or have a go card with enough travel credit to travel before you board the service.
How to use a fare machine
Fare machines are available at selected busway, train and tram stations.
- buy an adult go card at a busway and tram station fare machine
- top up your go card at any fare machine
- buy paper tickets at any fare machine.
Please use correct money where possible. Change will be given as coins up to the value of $19.90.
Sometimes a fare machine is unable to give the correct change because it has run out of coins or there is a problem with the machine. If you don't receive the correct change and you have the original refund claim receipt, you can claim a refund.
Fare machine refunds
If you bought a paper ticket from a fare machine and did not receive the correct change, you can:
- take the original refund claim receipt to a Queensland Rail ticket office for a refund, or
- fill out a fare machine refund form (PDF, 181KB) and post it along with the original refund claim receipt.
You can only pay with cash on bus and ferry services, and the driver or ferry master may not have change for larger notes.
How to get a go card refund
You can get a refund on any unused go card travel credit and deposit, by either:
Refunds can be issued one of two ways:
- complete the go card guide to balance transfers and refunds form (PDF, 300KB) and post it to us
- at selected go card retailers.
When an unused travel credit refund is issued, your go card must be surrendered and it will be cancelled.