- go card online
- selected retailers
- many G:link and busway stations
- Queensland Rail stations during ticket office opening hours.
Paper tickets can be bought:
- from a ticket office at train stations during opening hours
- from a fare machine at a busway, train or tram station, and major interchanges
Services in South East Queensland are currently cashless.
Things to remember when travelling using a paper ticket:
- you will need to purchase your ticket before boarding your service. You cannot purchase a paper ticket onboard any service (bus, train, tram or ferry).
- it is a single one way ticket which includes a 2 hour transfer window, or 3.5 hours if travelling more than 4 zones
- you must start your final trip before the printed expiry time
- paper tickets are non-refundable.
How to use a fare machine
Fare machines are available at selected busway, train and tram stations.
- buy an adult go card at a busway and tram station fare machine
- top up your go card at any fare machine
- buy paper tickets at any fare machine.
Please use correct money where possible. Change will be given as coins up to the value of $19.90.
Sometimes a fare machine is unable to give the correct change because it has run out of coins or there is a problem with the machine. If you don't receive the correct change and you have the original refund claim receipt, you can claim a refund.
go card refunds
You can get a refund on any unused go card travel credit and deposit.
Refunds can be issued one of two ways:
- complete the balance transfer and refund form (PDF, 180KB) and post it to us
- at selected go card retailers.
When an unused travel credit refund is issued, your go card must be surrendered and it will be cancelled.
If you have been charged an incorrect fare on your go card, you can apply for a balance adjustment.
For full details about go card refunds, please read our guide to balance transfers and refunds (PDF 165KB).
Smart Ticketing refunds
If you are participating in the Smart Ticketing trial and require a refund where you have paid for your fare with a Mastercard or American Express card, smartphone or smart watch, please call us on 13 12 30.
Fare machine refunds
If you bought a paper ticket from a fare machine and did not receive the correct change, you can:
- take the original refund claim receipt to a Queensland Rail ticket office for a refund, or
- fill out a fare machine refund form (PDF, 181KB) and post it along with the original refund claim receipt.