Buy go card
Getting a go card is easy. The fastest way is at one of our many go card retail locations, including:
- 7-Eleven stores and selected retailers where you see the 'buy' symbol
- Queensland Rail Station ticket offices
- fare machines at G:link and busway stations
- on board Brisbane City Council CityCat and Ferries.
When you purchase your go card you'll pay a refundable deposit of $10 (adult) or $5 (child, concession, senior).
If you no longer need your go card, you can request a refund of the deposit plus any travel balance on your go card (less any outstanding fares, fees and charges).
Community organisations, schools, special interest groups and other interested parties can buy multiple (10 or more).
Email us to discuss your bulk go card requirements.
Top-up go card
There are many ways to top-up your go card, including online (pay as you go or activate auto top-up), over the phone, onboard many buses and CityCat services, and at more than 1,600 go card retailers, and at fare machines.
- Online and over the phone: only Australian credit or debit cards (Amex and Diners cards are not accepted).
- Queensland Rail stations, fare machines: accept all credit cards (excluding Amex and Diners cards), including international credit cards and the BasicsCard.
- go card retailers: accept all credit cards. Note: Diners and Amex cards are accepted at the discretion of the retailer.
Onboard top-ups are available in cash only to a maximum of $50.
The easiest way to ensure you always have enough money to travel is to set up an auto top-up, by linking your go card to your credit/debit card.
So when your go card balance falls below $5, it will automatically top-up with the amount of your choice. You'll never have to worry about waiting in line to top up your go card or running out of money on your card.
The minimum top-up amount is $20.
Things to remember:
- The first time you set up auto top-up, the money will be deducted from your credit or debit card immediately.
- Your top-up won't load onto your card until you touch on at a card reader. We recommend you wait up to 60 minutes after activating auto top-up.
- If you don't touch on within 60 days of setting up auto top-up, we will return the money to your credit or debit card.
To join over 200,000 other travellers who have already got auto top-up, simply:
- Log into your go card card account (you will need to register your card first if you haven't already).
- Click on the top-up tab and set your preferred auto top-up amount.
- You can also call 13 12 30 and set-up auto top-up over the phone.
Top-up online or over the phone
Choose the amount:
- online: $20 to $200
- phone: $5 to $200
In most instances, the money will be available on your go card within an hour. However, it won't appear on your card balance until you next touch on at an electronic card reader.
If you don't touch your go card to a card reader within 60 days, the money will be returned to your debit or credit card.
Top-up in person
Top-up in person to travel instantly:
- at go card retailers, fare machines and Queensland Rail station ticket offices
- onboard buses (except Brisbane City Council services) and CityCat - cash only, maximum $50