Australians with a valid Seniors Card from any state or territory are eligible for a 50% concession fare.
In Queensland, the Seniors Card is issued by the Department of Seniors, Disability Services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships.
International seniors cards and senior business discount cards are not accepted.
To travel on a concession fare
Apply for a Seniors card + go
This is a single, convenient card for Queensland residents with a Seniors Card on one side and TransLink senior go card on the other side.
Seniors Card +go is FREE so you won't pay the usual $5 refundable deposit.
- visit the Seniors Card website
- call 13 74 68.
When you receive your Seniors card + go, you will need to visit a go card retailer and add a minimum of $5 credit to your card before you can travel.
Buy a Seniors go card
Visit your local go card retailer or Queensland Rail station ticket office with your Seniors Card, buy online or call us on 13 12 30.
You will need to pay a $5 refundable deposit and add a minimum of $5 credit to your card before you can travel.
Buy a concession paper ticket when you travel
Paper tickets can be bought:
- from a ticket office at train stations during opening hours
- from a fare machine at a major interchanges, busway, train or tram stations
- onboard buses (currently regional areas only)
Services in South East Queensland are currently cashless. If you are paying with cash, you will need to purchase a ticket before boarding your service.
go card discounts
Travelling with a seniors go card offers additional discounts compared to a paper ticket.
- cheaper fares – go card fares are at least 30% cheaper than paper tickets and if you travel off-peak you'll save a further 20%
- 8 journeys then half price - Travel for half price after your 8th journey in a 7-day period (Monday to Sunday).
- One, Two, Free - If you use your seniors go card for 2 journeys in one day, you can travel free for the rest of the day.
- Council subsidised fares – Brisbane City Council and Gold Coast City Council provide free travel for seniors on selected off-peak services.
Council subsidised fares
|Mode of travel||Brisbane City Council buses||Brisbane City Council ferries||Surfside buses|
8.30am - 3.30pm
7pm - 6am
Weekdays (incl. public holidays)
|Eligibility requirements||All seniors*||All seniors*||All seniors who are Gold Coast residents#|
*Brisbane City Council - To simply touch on/off with a senior go card or Seniors Card + go to receive the free travel initiative.
#City of Gold Coast - you must have a sticker pass on your Seniors go card. To apply visit Gold Coast City Council.
Free Seniors and Veterans Bus Travel does not apply on Queensland Rail trains or on G:Link light rail services.