Helpful tips for school students
Getting to and from school
- Make sure you have your ticket or go card, student ID, and are wearing your uniform.
- Arrive at the bus stop, ferry terminal, tram or train station a few minutes early (about 5 minutes is best).
- If you’re catching a bus, raise your hand when you see it approaching, to signal the driver to stop. Hailing the bus early gives the driver time to stop safely and smoothly.
Safety for you and your friends
- Please don’t distract the driver while traveling, they need to concentrate on their job.
- Keep your belongings in your bag, so you don’t lose them.
- Stay in your seat and don’t yell.
- Consider other passengers and their right to have a safe and comfortable journey too.
If a service doesn’t stop
- Contact your parent/guardian immediately to tell them you have missed your service.
- Never, under any circumstances, accept a ride from a stranger.
- If you decide to board the next service, wait in a safe place.
- If you decide to leave the bus/train/ferry/tram stop, tell your parent/guardian.
- If you are concerned for your safety, call the police on 000.
Download our travel tips factsheet for students (PDF, 95.6KB)
Helpful tips for parents and guardians
- Plan the journey in advance to confirm route and stop location. Check for service updates before your child travels.
- Use the journey planner to identify other services your child can use in case they miss their regular service.
- Discuss safety when travelling alone.
- Familiarise yourself with the Code of Conduct, and ensure your child understands their responsibility as a passenger.
- Make sure they have the correct ticket or go card, student ID, and are wearing their uniform.
- Provide your child with a way to contact you, should they need to.
- Walk to and from the stop, so your child is familiar with their surroundings.
- Arrive a few minutes early (5 minutes is best).
- If catching a bus, teach your child to stand at a safe distance to hail the bus as it approaches.
- Identify which stop to get off at and when to ring the bell.
- Practice touching on and off with their go card.