Vision Impairment Travel Pass (VITP) holders can travel on all TransLink services (excluding Airtrain) and regional qconnect bus services for free.
go access VITP
The electronic go access VITP provides more independence to eligible customers, particularly when entering/exiting fare gates at train stations. It was introduced November 2015 to replace the VITP flash pass.
The card looks similar to the old VITP, but it has a raised tactile marker.
If you already have a VITP flash pass, you can use it until it expires.
All new and replacement VITP passes are now issued as go access VITPs.
You need to be a Queensland resident and comply with one of the following:
- hold a current Department of Human Services Pensioner Concession Card showing the code 'DSB'
- hold a current Department of Veterans' Affairs Pensioner Concession Card showing the code "BLIND"
- be assessed by a relevant medical professional as legally blind (requires visual acuity on the Snellen Scale after correction by suitable lenses of less than 6/60 in both eyes, or a field of vision constricted to 10 degrees or less of arc around central fixation in the better eye, irrespective of corrected visual acuity).
How to apply
- Download and complete the Vision Impairment Travel Pass Application form. A copy of the form can also be posted to you by calling 13 12 30.
- Post your application form and two passport photos (one of which must be certified) to:
Vision Impairment Travel Pass Scheme
Locked Bag 1414
Dandenong South VIC 3175
- Allow 15 days for your application to be processed. If you haven't received your pass within this time, please call us on 13 12 30.
Please ensure you read the product terms and conditions.
If your pass has been lost, stolen or damaged, a replacement can be issued by calling us on 13 12 30.
All damaged go access VITPs should be destroyed once the new card is received.
Renewing your pass
The VITP is valid for 10 years from the date of issue.
Before your pass expires, we'll send you a renewal application to complete to the latest address we have on file.
The renewal form is also available online or you can request to have one posted to you by calling 13 12 30.
You will need to provide two passport photos (one of which must be certified).
* If your current VITP has expired more than three months ago, you will need to re-apply for a new VITP.
Conditions of travel
- You need to always carry your VITP with you while travelling and you must be able to show your pass when requested by a driver or authorised person.
- You must also comply with the rest of the terms and conditions that you were provided with at the time you received your pass.
Using your VITP
- If you have a go access VITP pass, you can touch on and off like a go card at rail stations in South East Queensland where fare gates are installed. This means you can be more independent and open fare gates at rail stations without needing assistance.
- You may also use your pass to touch on and off at other train stations and on other services on the go card network should you wish to do so.
- There is no requirement to touch on and off.
- If you're unable to, or choose not to, touch on and/off or you have an old VITP flash pass, simply show your pass to an authorised person as you board a bus or ferry, or pass through a fare gate.
Register your pass
We recommend that you register your go access VITP.
Registering your pass enables you to check your travel history online for journeys when you have chosen to 'touch on' and 'touch off'.
It also assists us to better understand how to allocate transport services.
You can register your go access VITP online or call us on 13 12 30.
Audio advice on using go access VITP
Our audio files contain frequently asked questions and have more information about how to obtain a new go access VITP card.
- About go access VITP (MP3, 1.4MB)
- Using go access VITP (MP3, 1.7MB)
- Passes: applying, renewing and replacing (MP3, 2.3MB)
- More information (MP3, 308K)
Travelling with a carer or companion
In Queensland, free travel is restricted to the pass holder only. However, companions may be eligible for the Queensland Government Companion Card program. This provides travel assistance to people who require lifelong attendant care.
For more information, see the Companion Card website or call 13QGOV (13 74 68).
Companion Card holders will need to request assistance from Queensland Rail staff to open the fare gates at train stations.
Travelling interstate using your go access VITP
Your VITP is accepted for travel in other states and territories on designated services. It is important that you check with interstate transport authorities before travelling to receive information on your entitlements in other states and territories.
It is important to note that the go access VITP will not open fare gates in other jurisdictions as the ticketing systems are different in each jurisdiction. When travelling interstate, you will need to show your go access VITP to a driver or authorised person when requested to do so.
Interstate vision impaired persons visiting Queensland
VITPs issued in other states or territories in Australia are valid for free travel in Queensland as per existing entitlements for Queensland-issued VITPs (refer above). Passes issued in other states will not be able to open fare gates in Queensland.
If you have any VITP-related questions, you can contact us online or by calling 13 12 30.