More than 150,000 Queensland students travel to school by bus every day.
To keep other passengers and bus drivers safe and comfortable, all school students are required to comply with the Code of Conduct for School Students Travelling on Buses (PDF, 6.5MB). Supporting the Code of Conduct is the Safe Travel of School Students Guiding Principles (PDF, 665KB).
The code sets out the expected behaviour of students while travelling on the bus and the consequences for breaching the code, and provides a framework to manage student misconduct.
The guiding principles reinforce the roles and responsibilities of bus operators, parents, schools and other stakeholders who play a key role in the safe travel of school students. They encourage stakeholders to collaborate to ensure students are educated on the code of conduct and to work together to identify and address issues as they arise.
The code and guiding principles are initiatives of the Bus Safety Committee chaired by the Assistant Minister for Transport and including representatives from key government agencies, the bus industry, a union, and school parent groups.
The non-government school was also involved in the review of the code of conduct.
- Code of Conduct for School Students Travelling on Buses (PDF, 6.5MB)
- Safe Travel of School Students Guiding Principles (PDF, 665KB)
- Students fact sheet (PDF, 292KB)
- Parents/carers fact sheet (PDF, 274KB)
- Bus operators fact sheet (PDF, 599KB)
- Bus drivers fact sheet (PDF, 871KB)
- Schools fact sheet (PDF, 390KB)
- Conveyance committees fact sheet (PDF, 893KB)
Please contact your local school bus operator initially to discuss any student misconduct issues.