Eligible asylum seekers can apply for a 50% concession fare on TransLink public transport services (excluding Airtrain travel and tourist rail services), regional qconnect bus services and approved regional ferry services.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for concession fares, asylum seekers must meet all the following criteria:

  • reside in Queensland
  • be 18 years and over, or be 15-17 years old and not in full time education
  • be deemed an Asylum Seeker according to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) evidenced by holding one of the following:
    • an Evidence of Status (EIS) ImmiCard
    • a Residence Determination (RD) ImmiCard
    • a document issued by the DIBP confirming Asylum Seeker status
    • documentation issued by the Designated Support Agency confirming status as an asylum seeker for example confirmation of support under the Status Resolution Support Programme.

Note: You will not be eligible for asylum seeker concession fares if you live interstate, are a refugee or have an ImmiCard that has expired.

How to apply

Travelling in the go card area

Step 1 - You need an adult go card and a Centrelink CRN

  • If you are using your existing adult go card, check your expiry date. Log into your go card account online, visit a selected go card retailer or train station ticket office, or call TransLink 13 12 30 anytime.
  • If you don’t have an adult go card you need to buy one. Note, you may then need to wait up to 24 hours before you can apply.
  • Your CRN is your Centrelink Customer Reference Number issued by Services Australia.  You should use your full CRN including the letter at the end to apply.

Step 2 - Contact your asylum seeker support agency to apply

Step 3 - Wait to hear from us by SMS or email

  • We will let you know if your application was successful or not. 
  • This may take up to 14 days for eligibility checks against Services Australia (Centrelink) records. 
  • If your application is not approved, you will need to travel on adult fares..

Step 4 - If approved, touch on within 60 days

  • If approved, touch your go card to a card reader to activate concession fares on your card. 
  • Concession fares will be on your go card until Centrelink tells us you are no longer eligible.
  • If you're no longer eligibile, we'll  send you an SMS or email at least 14 days before your go card will revert to adult fares.
  • When travelling, always carry your photo ID and show it as proof of concession eligibility when asked by a TransLink driver or authorised person or you could be fined $252.

Travelling outside the go card area

Step 1 - You need an ImmiCard and a Centrelink CRN

  • Your ImmiCard is issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
  • Your CRN is your Centrelink Customer Reference Number issued by Services Australia.
  • You should use your full CRN including the letter at the end to apply.

Step 2 - Download form and contact your asylum seeker support agency

Step 3 - lf eligible, your support agency will put a sticker on your ImmiCard

  • Show your ImmiCard with the concession sticker to the driver to get half price fares.
  • Your regional concession sticker will expire on 31 March the following year.
  • You will need to apply for a regional concession sticker each year you are eligible for concession fares.
  • If you are not eligible, you will need to travel on adult fares.

Recognised asylum seeker support agencies

The department’s process for providing concession fares to asylum seekers requires the cooperation and assistance of asylum seeker support agencies to assess and verify eligibility.

The following Agencies are registered to verify eligibility for asylum seeker concessions:

Related links