50% concession fare
A 50% concession fare is available to:
Children aged five to 14 years (inclusive) are eligible for a concession fare.
Children who appear older may be asked to show proof of age, such as a school photo identification card.
Please note: Children aged four years and under can travel for free on TransLink services.
Some school students may be eligible for the School Transport Assistance Scheme which provides school transport assistance.
Students must carry valid concession identification to receive a concession fare.
Please note: Students are not eligible for concession fares on Airtrain services.
School students (full-time Queensland primary & secondary students)
Primary students and secondary students aged 15 years or older are eligible for a concession fare.
School students aged five to 14 years fall under the child concession category.
To receive a concession fare, students must:
- carry an approved Queensland student photo identification card, or
- wear an official Queensland school uniform.
Secondary student identification cards for students in:
- grades 8 to 11 are valid until 31 March of the following year
- grade 12 are valid until 31 December of the current year.
The following students are not eligible for a concession:
- students holding a home education unit student identification card
- students holding an interstate secondary student identification card
- students holding an international or overseas secondary student identification card.
Some students may be eligible for the School Transport Assistance Scheme in certain circumstances which provides school transport assistance.
Queensland Rail offer specially discounted passes for primary and secondary school students travelling to and from school. Visit the Queensland Rail website for more information.
Tertiary and other full-time students
To be eligible to receive the concession fare, you must be:
- a Queensland resident
- enrolled in and attending a full-time course (minimum 12 hours per week for a minimum 12 weeks):
- at a registered university, TAFE or other approved post-secondary institution in Queensland (or the Tweed Heads campus at Southern Cross University)
- that is approved by Centrelink for Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance, or studying at a post-graduate level
To receive a concession fare, students must hold a:
- current and valid photo identification card marked 'full-time' with the Queensland Rail logo or the Public Transport Concession Identifier, or
- valid student photo identification and a Tertiary Transport Card.
Public Transport Concession Identifier
If you’re an eligible tertiary or other full time student in south east Queensland your student ID card may display the below Public Transport Concession Identifier.
Please speak to your university or training organisation if your student ID card does not display this Public Transport Concession Identifier and you believe you are an eligible student.
To find out how a university or training organisation can become can become authorised to issue the Public Transport Concession Identifier visit the Public Transport Concession Identifier information page.
Australian residents with a current Pensioner Concession Card from any Australian state or territory are eligible for a concession fare. (Dependents listed on the card do not receive a concession fare.)
The Pensioner Concession Card is issued by Centrelink, Commonwealth Department of Human Services, or the Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs.
Please note: holders of Centrelink or Commonwealth Department of Human Services issued Health Care Cards are not entitled to travel on a concession fare.
Australians with a valid Seniors Card from any state or territory are eligible for a concession fare.
The Seniors Card is issued in Queensland by Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services.
International Seniors cards and Senior Business Discount cards are not accepted.
Defence force veterans (Gold Repatriation Health Card holders)
Queensland residents who hold a Repatriation Health Card - For All Conditions (Gold Card) with the prefix 'Q' are eligible for a concession fare.
The Gold Card is issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
Cards issued interstate are not accepted and dependents listed on the card do not receive a concession fare.
Free travel is available to:
- children under 5 years of age
- Vision Impairment Travel Pass holders
- attendant carer of a Companion Card holder
- Travel Trainer Pass holders
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI) Veteran/Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA) Veteran Travel Pass holders
Regional ferry services
Certain concessions are available to pensioners, seniors, veterans, people with disability, school students and children on regional ferry services. Please contact your local operator for details of the concessions offered.
Proof of eligibility
When travelling on a concession fare, you are required by legislation to have your valid concession entitlement card with you at all times. A driver or an authorised person may ask to see your proof of entitlement when travelling on services.
You will need to update your concession go card expiry date before your entitlement card expires.
When you touch on and touch off the card reader will display 'card expiry soon' for 30 days before your concession go card expires. You will also hear 3 short beeps and see a red light.
Other concession passes
The following concession passes are only accepted for travel on public transport in South East Queensland:
Taxi Subsidy Scheme
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme provides an affordable and accessible transport option for people with a disability who experience profound difficulties using other modes of public passenger transport. Visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads website for more information about the Taxi Subsidy Scheme.
For more information about public transport concessions, contact TransLink.
Note for Airtrain passengers
For information about concessions on Airtrain services, visit the Airtrain website or call 1800 119 091.
Note for long distance rail passengers
For information about concessions on long distance rail services, visit the Queensland Rail Travel website or call 1800 872 467.