The Department of Transport and Main Roads is committed to protecting your personal information. Our objective is to protect the privacy, accuracy and security of your personal information in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld).
We will only collect personal information that is relevant and necessary for our functions and activities.
We collect and store personal information that you, our contractors or business partners provide to us.
Personal information collected by the Department of Transport and Main Roads generally comprises name, address, date of birth, gender, contact details (such as phone, fax and email), certain financial information (such as credit card details or bank account details) and information relevant to concession fares (such as student or pension details).
When you visit our website, our server makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes only:
- The user's server address.
- The user's top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, and so on).
- The date and time you visited the website.
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded.
- The type of browser you use.
- No attempt will be made to identify users, or their browsing activities, unless we are lawfully required to do so for an investigation or law enforcement purposes.
Access to this website
You must not use any application, system or method to access information on this website, including information in relation to go card accounts, other than through ordinary use of this website by methods purposely made available on this website. You must not provide to any person, or invite or solicit any third party to provide you with, passwords or other information to enable such access.
Your email address is recorded if you send us an email, however, we will not use your email address other than for the purpose for which you provided it. Emails in which assistance is requested will be forwarded to the relevant DTMR officer and/or our contactor and business partner.
Email correspondence sent to this website will be treated as a public record and will be retained in line with relevant legislation.
If you have received an email from TransLink Division and should you no longer wish to receive updates from us, you may unsubscribe now.
Email messages may be monitored by our web team for system troubleshooting and maintenance purposes.
Smart card (including go card)
Our use of your personal information will depend on whether you are a 'registered' smart card holder or whether you have an 'unregistered' smart card.
Unregistered smart cards
If you have an unregistered smart card the following information will be retained:
- Cash/Debit card/Credit card
- Record of financial transaction - 3 Years
- Hardcopy of financial transaction - 7 Months
- Contact details for concession fare card holders only
- Archive period - 5 Years
Registered smart cards
If you choose to register your smart card, your personal information will be securely held and linked to the serial number of your smart card. Your physical smart card will not hold any personal information.
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to allow you to top up your smart card;
- to allow you to obtain a replacement card;
- to allow you to 'hotlist' or cancel a lost or stolen card to protect the stored value;
- to allow you to access your journey history;
- to allow us to notify you of changes to your smart card (for example impending card expiry);
- to allow us to address any queries and complaints you may have regarding your smart card;
- to provide you with information directly related to our functions and activities; and
- to facilitate security measures to guard against fraud or inappropriate use of your card.
If you call the call centre, your telephone call will be recorded. This assists TransLink Division to carry out its functions and objectives.
If you do not want your telephone call recorded, you may tell the consultant this. If you tell the consultant that you do not want your telephone conversation recorded, you will be directed to the TransLink website or requested to mail your enquiry to TransLink in writing.
If you agree to the telephone call being recorded, all voice recordings are handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009.
CCTV and audio voice recordings
At times, while using TransLink services, you may be video recorded by way of CCTV or conversations you have with TransLink Division staff and business partners may be audio recorded. The Department of Transport and Main Roads makes these recordings to assist with ensuring the safety of passengers, Department of Transport and Main Roads staff and business partners and to ensure the security of the TransLink network.
All video and audio recordings are made and handled by the Department of Transport and Main Roads in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 and any relevant legislation.
Disclosure of personal information
In order to perform our functions and activities, we may be required to disclose your personal information to third parties, such as:
- your bank or financial institution;
- business partners where we outsource functions, such as information services, software development or transport planning;
- our contracted public transport business partners, such as Queensland Rail
- research organisations for the purpose of obtaining data about our services to assist us to improve the delivery of or functions and activities;
- other organisations such as law enforcement agencies where it may be authorised or required by law to disclose your personal information.
Personal information quality
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is stored accurately.
Please contact us if you believe the personal information we hold about you is not complete or up to date.
If we disagree with your request to correct your personal information, you may request that a statement noting your disagreement be attached to your information.
Personal information security
We will protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification and disclosure. We have a range of physical and technological procedures in place to provide a secure environment.
The website contains links to non-Department of Transport and Main Roads websites. The Department of Transport and Main Roads is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of those websites.
If you have any queries about our privacy and security practices, please contact:
Right to Information, Privacy and Complaints Management
Department of Transport and Main Roads
GPO Box 1549
Phone: 3066 7108
Fax: 3066 7101
National Relay Service:
- TTY (teletypewriter): 13 36 77
- Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay): phone 1300 555 727
- Internet relay: connect to the National Relay Service
For general information contact TransLink on 13 12 30.