A Student Special Program Pass is issued to :
- students with a disability eligible under the School Transport Assistance Program for Student with Disabilities, and
- English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) students.
Who can apply?
Students with a disability
Students with a disability who have been assessed for transport assistance and qualify under the School Transport Assistance Program for Student with Disabilities may receive this pass if they are assessed as capable of travelling on public transport.
English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) students
EAL/D students who are enrolled in a Department of Education approved Intensive Language Unit (ILU) are eligible for 12 months of government funded travel from the initial date of enrolment in a ILU.
There is no distance or age criteria applicable to this assistance.
Principals have authority to grant an additional six months of travel assistance for those students requiring continued language support beyond the initial 12 month period.
How to apply for a pass
Applications are submitted through the school the student attends.
General enquiries should be directed to the school.
Conditions of travel
- The pass is valid on all TransLink passenger services except tours, Airtrain and special services.
- Passes are issued to students with a disability who meet eligibility criteria of the School Transport Assistance Program for Student with Disabilities administered by the Department of Education and Training.
- Passes are issued to eligible EAL/D students who are enrolled in a Department of Education Intensive Language Unit program.
- Should the student's circumstances change (i.e. change of school or residential address), a new application is to be submitted through the school attended.
- The Student Special Program Pass is to be returned to the school if the student leaves the school or is no longer using the pass.
- Students must present their Special Program pass to a driver or authorised person upon boarding or when travelling on a TransLink passenger service.
- Students must carry an approved school ID at all times and must produce it on demand by a bus driver or an authorised person.
- Passes are not valid for excursions, outings or leisure travel and are only valid for travel to and from school on school days (Monday to Friday).
- Student Special Program Passes are non-refundable.