Travel using any TransLink train, bus, ferry and tram service is only permitted with a valid go card, SEEQ card or TransLink paper ticket or pass.
All TransLink ticketing products remain the property of TransLink and are not transferable from one customer to another.
The following are examples of passenger conduct which may constitute a breach of the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994 (this list is not exhaustive and other conditions apply).
- A passenger must ensure his/her go card is touched on when travelling.
- A passenger must not evade, or attempt to evade, payment of the required fare for the intended journey.
- A concession/child paper ticket holder, or a concession, seniors or child go card holder must be in possession of a valid concession entitlement card.
- A passenger must produce a valid ticket or go card and a valid concession entitlement card (if applicable) when requested to do so, by a driver, ticket seller or authorised person.
- A passenger must not smoke (including electronic cigarettes) in a public passenger vehicle.
- A passenger must not consume food or drink in a public passenger vehicle.
- A passenger must not interfere with a public passenger vehicle, service equipment or a public passenger service.
- A passenger must not bring an animal on to a public passenger vehicle unless it is an approved guide or assistance animal.
- A passenger must not create a nuisance or disturbance on a railway or public passenger vehicle.
- A passenger must supply his/her name, address and age to an authorised person when requested.
- A passenger must not obstruct an authorised person in the exercise of a power.
Fines for public transport offences
(Current as of 1 July 2014)
|Evade a fare||$227|
|Fail to produce a ticket||$227|
|Failure to state name, address or age to an AP||$227|
|Failure to provide information about a relevant offence||$227|
|Smoking on a bus or ferry||$227|
|Consumption of food/drink on a bus or ferry||$227|
|Create a disturbance or nuisance on or in Passenger transport infrastructure (PTI) or Passenger Passenger Vehicle (PPV)||$455|
|Fail to obey a direction to leave or not enter PTI or PPV||$455|
|Interfere with a vehicle or equipment||$455|
|Person take animal that is not assistance animal on public passenger vehicle W/O permission||$227|
|Failure to carry evidence of concessional entitlement||$227|
|Placing feet on seat of rolling stock||$227|
|Entering or leaving moving rolling stock||$227|
|Opening external door of moving rolling stock||$227|
|Placing a part of a person’s body out of a window or door of moving roll stock||$227|
|Entering or leaving a railway other than through a proper entrance or exit||$227|
|Entering rolling stock not designated for passengers||$227|
|Riding on the outside of rolling stock||$227|
|Putting graffiti on a railway||$227|
|Entering railway crossing whilst warning signal has/is sounded||$227|
|Enter railway track other than for purpose for crossing one side to another||$227|
|Spitting on platform, rolling stock or structure||$227|
|Consumption of alcohol on a railway||$227|
|Crossing of a railway tracks other than at a Railway crossing||$227|
|Allowing an animal onto a railway||$227|
|Leaving litter on a railway other than in container provided for that purpose||$113|
|Occupying more than 1 seat on rolling stock||$227|
|Bringing onto rolling stock designed for passengers a sizeable object that cannot be put: (a) under the seat; or (b) in an overhead rack; or (c)in a designed storage area||$227|
|Placing anything in the aisle where it may cause obstruction or injury||$227|
|Selling, seeking business or conducting a survey on a railway||$227|
|Playing a musical instrument or Operating sound equipment at a level likely to be a nuisance||$227|
|Consuming food or drink on Rolling stock||$227|
|Smoking on a railway||$227|
|Parking a vehicle other than in designated parking space||$227|
|Failure to obey direction on a sign in relation to driving or parking||$227|
|Driving a vehicle(other than a wheelchair) on a bridge, subway or platform||$227|
|Selling, seeking business or conducting survey on a busway or Busway Transport Infrastructure (BTI)||$227|
|Playing musical instrument or operating sound equipment on a busway or BTI without permission||$227|
|Allow animal on busway or BTI that is not assistance animal without permission||$227|
|Fail to enter or exit through entrance or exit on busway or BTI||$227|
|Driving vehicle other than wheelchair on area of busway or BTI designed for pedestrian use||$227|
|Parking vehicle on busway or BTI except in space where authorised parking||$227|
|Fail to obey direction driving or parking vehicle on busway or BTI indicated on sign displayed without excuse||$227|
|Leaving litter on busway or BTI other than in container provided for that purpose||$113|
|Drinking alcohol on a busway or BTI||$227|
|Smoking on a busway or BTI||$227|